Monday, September 3, 2007

Flow Pack o' frozen Meat Medallions?


The long flight. 10 hours, plus 1.5 on the ground delayed because the crew found some mysterious luggage. The poor guy had to walk through the entire plane displaying the small parcels which, through his neglect, held everyone up. I think I was one of the only US citizens on the flight. Lots of Spanish-speaking Jews asked me to clarify the crew instructions, even though they were about to be given in Spanish. Even the flight attendants assumed I spoke Spanish. That’s encouraging, I guess. Getting a shower at the hostel was difficult. I was tired and the bathroom was very small, without dry floor space. The staff is nice enough, but no one is super friendly so far. I can understand everyone when they're talking to me, but not when they're talking to each other. Sometimes they look at me like an alien when I ask a question. I guess “ehh.. nn... no” is not the correct response to “do you need a bag?” at the supermarket... Also, people don’t keep cats here. They all live in public parks. Like our parks have pigeons, here they are run by cats. I'm not really sure what to do next. I have an interview tomorrow at 11 am, and another on Wednesday, so I'm figuring out how to get to them. I'll have interesting things to say soon, I'm sure.

1 comment:

meganrobin said...

Cats rule the streets of Indonesia as well. There is a very rowdy street cat brothel down the street from my house. Very entertaining. I have yet to meet a cat with a normal tail. They are all sparse remnants, atrophied from being run over by cars or motorbikes. I learned the other day that cat's can carry avian flu (seriously). Who would have guessed? This might not be something you have to worry about in Argentina, but watch out for the flying cats in any case.

By the way, the area to post a comment on your site knows that I am in Indonesia and speaks to me as such. Keren! (cool!)