Wednesday, September 19, 2007

¿Qué será mi groove?



My 18th day in Argentina is making its curtain call. You might ask- 'How are things?' My only complaints are things that make me laugh, and who minds laughing?

For instance:
I've gotten seriously delayed twice, but I don't know that they qualify as being seriously lost. Once I know where a subway or bus goes, I have no problems. It's just that the bus drivers aren't very helpful and the bus guidebook logic yet eludes me. These two times I speak of were both when I was on my way to work and both when I was given
explicitly false directions by seemingly-helpful passersby. The horrible results? I was wet and cold (it's been raining) and I had a great story to divert attention from my being late. Not too bad, huh? Also- I now know that it is general knowledge to never ever take the #133.

As far as work goes, I've been busy. I've given classes at a slaughterhouse (frigorifico, which sounds like 'horrific' to me. It's the scary building you can see in the photo), outside of the metropolis in a little town called Pilar, in varous bars and restaurants, and in a hospital. I haven't met a student I didn't like. They give me good reviews, but I'm not sure If it is because I am a good teacher or if I am just that easy to get along with. I don't know what I would do if I didn't get along well with my students- It's hard enough to get up at 6am every day, even knowing that the offices I teach at usually have cappuccino machines. Tomorrow, though, I get to bring in multimedia lessons, i.e. we are going to watch TV on my laptop.

I've seen some great music too! All the venues I've been to have been really beautiful (Check out the photo of the Konex center, where Monday nights mean serious musicians taking turns at conducting an improv percussion group!). I'm really excited to see Joanna Newsom in October, and don't fret if you are jealous because I can still get you a ticket...

I'm pleasantly surprised that there is no lack of social happenings. It's easier to make friends with foreigners for some reason, probably because my apartment is so international, but I haven't given up hope yet that my assimilation will continue. I myself don't stick out until I try to have a conversation, and I don't even know that I want to be porteño (Buenos Aires native) per se, but my Spanish isn't going to get any more natural if I keep hanging out with people who's mastery of the language is hardly better than my own. Make fun if you will, but my 'll's and 'Y's will keep coming out as 'sh' while I'm here. (Don't get me started on how to conjugate for the 2nd person singular 'vos', unique to the Southern Cone)
"Sho me shamo Phillip, ¿y vos?

I went to a parilla, the ubiquitous grilled meat-only restaurants that Argentina is known for. Delicious, if not something I need to repeat often. What you hear is true- they love beef here. As far as food goes, I'm close enough to Chinatown that I can get tofu when I want it, and I always like cooking for myself. The pizza and empanadas are tasty here too, and I found a Mexican place I like. More importanly- the wine is so cheap and so goooood. I've been trying out some of the boutique-winery award winners, as well as the local staples for red table wine. It almost makes me forget how much I miss dark beer from American microbreweries. Almost.
Other news... I joined a gym, my roommates are still great, our dog is dumb, my boss texts me like 8 times a day, and I can't wait for the weekend. Also, Leah just got a cheap(er) ticket, so she's going to spend most of December with me! I'm sure you are all aware how happy this makes me. I think I'll be able to get time off, so we can head to the Andes, Patagonia, and Iguazú falls with any luck. We'll see about Antarctica.

I love everyone, and I miss all of you. Write me, comment to the posts, whatever you need to tell me what is up.

-Phillip


3 comments:

DUNX said...

It's so nice to know that everything's going so well. I'm going to start playing the lottery so I can have the money to visit everyone in their exciting world travels. I have a nonexistent blog at duncka.blogspot.com, but I don't use it at all right now, but I will start when I have something interesting to write about, pretty much after I leave tally. Keep up the postings! It gives me something interesting to read at work.

Van D said...

you are a beautiful genius.

never stop being my friend.

lindamoore said...

Oh Phillip - this experience will ultimately change your life forever - I am so proud of you!!! Now that I know how to access your blog, I'll be checking in on you every day (after I leave my 20 gifted 2nd graders at school!) I remember when YOU were one of my gifted kids . . . Take good care and "buen suerte!"